Setting up manual OpenVPN connection on Linux using Network Manager
The manual OpenVPN connection method through the Network Manager is one of the alternative methods to connect to NordLayer private gateway(s) on your Linux machine. Please note that this manual setup lacks the additional features of the native NordLayer app. This connection method can only be set up to your private gateway(s).
1. If you or your organization owner has already purchased a dedicated server, the owner can generate OpenVPN configuration files from the Downloads section
While on the same page, NordLayer service credentials need to be copied as well since they are individual for each member.
2. Click on the network selection button in the upper-right corner of the screen, press VPN Off, and select VPN Settings from the drop-down menu
3. A configuration window will open. Press the + icon next to VPN
4. You will be prompted to choose a connection type. Select Import from file…
5. You will be asked to select a file you would like to import
Navigate to the folder where you have extracted the configuration files, select one of the files (which corresponds one of your private gateway servers and the connection protocol), and click Open.
6. In the pop-up window, enter your NordLayer service credentials username and password, Click Add
7. Now click on the toggle switch under the VPN section to connect to your NordLayer private gateway
The toggle switch will turn green once connected.
Note: In case you have any questions or are experiencing any issues, please feel free to contact our 24/7 customer support team.